Translate

Friday, September 14, 2012

Recipes - Chili w/Ground Turkey and Tortilla Chips

 The other night, it was a little cold outside, so I was in the mood for 'winter' food. I am truly attempting to live a better life, but I wanted chili so bad. I called my Mom and she gave me her chili recipe. I tweaked it so that it was a bit healthier by using ground turkey instead of ground beef. I also decided that cooking the chili in a slow cooker would be a great idea as well considering that I needed to work and do a ton of other things before the night was over. The chili turned out great! I also decided that I wanted corn chips with my chili, but corn chips have way too many calories. I had to improvise and by improvising I mean that I used Mission's Carb Smart Tortilla Shells to make tortilla chips to go with my chili. Everything was delicious and healthy! You'll find photos and the recipes for the chili and tortilla chips below. Enjoy!


Chili!


Yummy Tortilla Chips!




Turkey Chili via Slow Cooker
1 Pound of Ground Turkey
1 Pack of McCormick Chili Seasoning Mix
3 – 10 ounce cans of diced tomatoes w/green chilies
1 – 15 to 16 oz. can of kidney or pinto beans
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1 teaspoon of pepper
1 capful of olive oil (optional)
1 teaspoon of hot sauce or to taste
½ cup of diced onions
½ cup of mixed peppers (red, green, and yellow)*
Optional Toppings: Shredded Mexican Cheese and Sour Cream

DIRECTIONS

1. Brown the meat in large skillet on medium-high heat. Drain fat.

2. Place Seasoning Mix, tomatoes, beans, and all additional ingredients in the slow cooker. Cover. Cook for 2.5 hours on high or 4 hours on low, stirring occasionally. Serve with toppings (sour cream and shredded cheese), if desired.
*The mixed peppers can be found at Kroger for approximately $1 in the frozen section. The onions can be found in the frozen section as well for the same price.


Note: Slow Cooker cook times will vary. More up to date models will cook dishes faster, so adjust cooking time accordingly. 



Tortilla Chips
1 package of Mission’s Carb Smart Tortillas
Olive Oil Cooking Spray
Sea Salt
Pepper
Parchment Paper
Cookie Sheet

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

2. On your cookie sheet, place a piece of parchment paper. Spray the parchment paper with olive oil cooking spray. Sprinkle sea salt and pepper on parchment paper.
3. Cut the tortillas in whatever shape that you like (I prefer triangles). Place the cut pieces of tortilla on the cookie sheet, then spray the cut pieces of tortilla with the olive oil cooking spray. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
4. Place in the oven for baking. All done!


Note: Oven cook times may vary so be watchful of the tortillas while they are cooking. 





No comments:

Post a Comment